Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Obon Festival

I haven't posted in a while, so this was actually a while ago, but so fun. The Obon Festival is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the deceased spirits of one's ancestors. Pretty much it's a party in the street. A lot of Cam's family are Buddhists, so it was fun to go meet up with most of Cam's family. They had some awesome Japanese food. They had people play taiko (big drums), one being our cousin. After that, all of the people who had lost someone over the last year all perform several dances in the middle of the street. I decided that I'm going to go dance with the rest of my cousins, not realizing until the music started that it is actually a choreographed dance, and had no idea what I was doing! Luckily it was pretty easy to pick up, and didn't make a total fool of myself. It was so much fun and I can't wait to go next year.








Kellen trying to eat his food with a single chopstick!

11 comments:

Anna said...

What a fun thing to do with your family! I love the story about you dancing. SO GREAT! Your kids are adorable!

Jenny said...

Sounds fun!! Thanks for posting again. Wish I could have seen you dance.

RATCH said...

That is AWESOME! What a neat thing to have the opportunity to see and learn about some of your family's cultural backround. I bet the boys loved it too. I have to find out when the Mexican and Thai festivals are for my kids (if there are any around here.)

Niki said...

What? Where is this? I want to go next year! Nasukashii!

KT and Lance said...

What an awesome thing for your boys to experience! Are there any video's of you attempting to dance? I bet that would be worth watching! Ha

Shea said...

love that you danced when it was choreographed :) sounds like it was a fun party.

The Bingham's said...

I've been to that festival and it is so fun. My friend Lisa dances in it every year. It's funny that you danced to it with it being choregraphed!! I need to go again. The drums are my favorite!!

shaunandnina said...

That looks like it was so much fun! We love eating with chopsticks...someday one of us will actually be good at it!

Denise said...

When is that? I need to do that with my family. What a fun tradition to start.

Kawa Rangers said...

I'm pretty sure it's only a once a year kind of thing, but so much fun.

Laurie said...

I remember going to one of these street parties when I lived on Hokkaido. I had forgotten about it until I saw the pictures. What fun memories. Loved the kimonos.