Friday, November 21, 2008

Gpa and Gma Kawa

Typically, I'm not a very emotional person as some of you might know, but this week has been a bit strange for me. With Thanksgiving coming up, I too thought that I should blog about the great things in my life, most especially Amy, Kason and Kellen. I love you 3!

Anywho, I'm just barely touching on that because some other things have happened recently that I want to express. Like I said, I don't get emotional about things, but I have this week. This isn't cry emotional though, so those of you who want to know if I cry, stop wondering cause I don't, I don't have tear ducts. Anyways, last Saturday I was able to go with Mom and Mean Gene to the temple to do some baptisms for family members who have gone on to the next life.

At the start I had no idea who most of them were, I didn't even ask my mom. I was performing the baptism and dunking my mom, when my grandma's name came up. I saw that and was thrilled about it. My first thought was that Mean Gene should have done it, but too late. He did the confirmation. (I hope he noticed that his mom was baptized)

Side note; Grandma Kawa was/is one of the sweetest persons I know. I love her so much and miss her a lot also. She passed away about 17 years ago, I can't remember. I can't once remember her upset or mad. The things I do remember are how strong of a woman she is. She was born in Compton California (that's right, an original gangster, laying the foundation down for Dr. Dre) and was relocated to Heart Mountain, Wyoming during the war. Her and her family lost basically everything and had to start over after the war without much compensation.

I believe she was the first woman to receive her black belt in Judo here in Utah. She was a dental assistant and did many things for the Japanese here in Utah. My Grandpa and her raised 4 kids, 3 boys, 1 girl in rural Ogden area. She's just amazing. There isn't enough words to explain her, so I'll continue my story.

Anyways, I asked my mom about the others and it got me thinking how awesome it is that everyone has the opportunity to receive the Gospel, no matter what.

Fast forward to yesterday. Amy and I go to the Temple (which took forever) with some neighbors and I had a prayer in my heart trying to know if Grandma accepted her baptism. The Spirit was there pretty strong and I feel really good about the questions that I had.

One more thing kept popping up in my head though. That thought was my Grandpa Kawa. This poor man has gone through so much and has suffered quite a bit physically, emotionally and mentally throughout his life especially the last couple of years, but has done so without complaint. Next to Jesus, and my dad, he's the next best thing to a hero that I have that has influenced my life. He just turned 87this last month and is struggling physically and mentally. Soon he will pass to the next life as well. We have thought this for quite some time, but his body just will not give up the ghost. Back to yesterday. The reoccurring thought was that Grandpa can't join Grandma until all her Temple work is done. It just played over in my mind over and over again. So I knew what I had to do.

I called my mom this morning and told her of the inspiration that I felt. I told her that Grandpa can't go until Grandma is taken care of. He just needs a hand on the other side. That hand is my Grandma. Come to find out, my mom did the initiatory work earlier this week and finished the endowment yesterday. It really pleased me to hear that.

I don't know how long Grandpa has here, but my heart is now comforted that he has someone to go to that is waiting to teach and help him know who the Savior is. It took over 15 years to get it done, but we finally did it. I'll miss my Grandpa very much, but this step is something that has to be done for me to hang out with him again. I pray every day that the Lord will take my Grandpa so he may see Grandma Kawa real soon. He has been so lonely. Yeah, he has 4 kids, 9 grand kids 3 in law grand kids and 7 great grand children, but has missed the comforting arms of my Grandma (me too).

I know that there is a plan for all of us, but I hope that my Grandpa's journey is close to an end. I know I have rambled and will ramble once again when I pay tribute to Grandpa Kawa, but I have had the Spirit with me quite a bit. The only other times that I have felt the Spirit this strong for this long was on my mission, when I got married and both kids.

I'll soon post pictures of my grandparents, but until then, this should do. So, know that I have a testimony of Temple work and that I love my family. I'm so thankful for all that I have, most especially the Savior. Thanks for reading, hope it wasn't too boring.

6 comments:

RATCH said...

Cam this was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Niki said...

Wow. That was amazing! Thank you for sharing that...that makes me want to get busy on family history...

Spencer, Emily, Ashlee said...

Thanks Cam. It inspires me to get out and do more Temple work.

amber said...

That is such a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

Denise said...

Ditto to what everyone else has said. What a special experience that was for you.

Steph said...

Cam,
Wow! I couldn't agree more about Grandma and Grandpa Kawa. This was very heartfelt and I got teary-eyed. We were such lucky kids growing up. Having these two wonderful people in our lives. I will forever be grateful for the memories we have with them. thanks for your testimony.

Steph